If you are a facility manager, it is good to ensure that the risk of fire is reduced. Note that electrical fires can occur any time without your expectations. The fires can cause massive damage and even death. The fires can occur due to damaged wiring systems or appliances. One of the ways that you can reduce these risks includes test and tag. This is a process that involves checking that all the electrical appliances and systems are in perfect condition. They are checked and then tagged to show that they have been tested and found to be safe to use.
Which appliances can be tested and tagged?
Test and tag can be done on all appliances powered by electricity. They are all checked to find out if they are faulty or not. Here are some of the appliances you can test and tag.
- Appliances such as blenders, refrigerators, ovens, and microwaves.
- Grooming items such as hair dryers, curling irons, and blow dryers.
- Equipment and tools such as soldering irons, drills, and saws.
- Entertainment and information items such as televisions, switchboards, computers, and video game consoles.
It is important to test and tag these items to find out if they are defective or are worn out. It is also good to know that the environment where most of them are used can cause hazards in your home or business. Some of the things that can make these items faulty include moisture, dust, frequent movement, or dirt. Test and tag help identify these problems and ensure that the issues are addressed before they cause electrical fires.
What is involved in the test and tag process?
During the test and tag process, there are specific steps that are followed. Here are the steps involved in the process.
- Physical inspection for the electrical cords and connections.
- Testing the insulation of the connectors and cords
- Test the functionality of the device or appliance
- Checking the polarity of the connection
- Visual inspection of the outlet capacity
- Checking overload
- Tagging all the inspected items
What are the benefits involved in test and tag?
There are a lot of benefits when working with test and tag experts Australia. It is a crucial process that should be left to a professional electrician. It cost you money, but the amount spent cannot be compared with the benefits involved. Here are some of these benefits.
- Allow you to comply with laws and regulations.
- Improve the safety of your employees and other people in the facility.
- Minimise the risk of electrical fires from occurring.
- Helps in reduction of insurance rates.
- Reduce property damage that may result from electrical fires.
The test and tag process helps to give information that shows the date the inspection was done and the results. You also have the number of devices that need to be replaced and repaired. After the process, you can then take the necessary steps to replace all the appliances and other items if there is a need. If the damages are not major, you can perform simple repairs. Once you do the repairs or replacements, then you can then do a follow-up inspection of the appliances.